In the world of IP licensing, it is often very easy to think your own views are shared by the other side before you start negotiating, making it even more difficult to agree on the “terms” in the agreement. This highly interactive intensive three-day course focuses on IP licensing in the context of business development including consideration of legal issues, patent decisions and strategy, valuation, negotiation, and ethics. It provides an integrated view on licensing transactions/deals and allows attendees an opportunity to imagine the different hats worn in negotiating an agreement – all practiced in a safe learning environment using real-world agreements and examples. Developed and taught by world-class licensing experts, this course includes legal, valuation, and business specialists.
This hands-on course was designed to provide advanced skills and tools for the experienced licensing executive in one or more of the following areas in licensing transactions/deals – IP including patent prosecution law (copyrights, trade secrets, know-how, and trademarks), technology transfer, business development, licensing agreements, and valuation.
Attendees must have had at least three years of solid working knowledge in one or more areas of licensing transactions/deals (listed above).
It is also preferred if attendees have taken one of the following LES courses within the last three years:
- IP and Licensing Basics 100
- IP Business Basics 101
- Identify legal issues related to IP procurement, enforcement, and licensing transactions
- Understand the role and interplay of the range of agreement provisions in a licensing agreement
- Recognize the elements of a robust and actionable intellectual asset strategy
- Interpret competitive data
- Understand the different methods of IP valuations and when to use them
- Conduct effective negotiations and and understand the ethics of IP transactions.
This course contained the following modules:
- Legal Issues in Patenting, Due Diligence, and Licensing 251
- Intellectual Asset Strategy 252
- Valuation 253
- Ethics 254
- Negotiation 255