Join us for this Iowa LES Chapter event
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY VALUATION AND ROYALTY AUDITS
Expert presentation on valuing intellectual property for licenses and conducting royalty audits
“Valuing Intellectual Property” by Alex Brandon
- Types of IP – patented & unpatented tech, copyrights and content, franchise agreements, licenses, brands, software, trade secrets, IPR&D
- Purpose and valuation standards – tax, financial reporting, dispute, restructuring, spin-offs
- Valuation methodology – cost, income, market
- Case study – identification, selection of methodology, research, modeling, reporting
“Key Considerations in Forensic Royalty Audit” by Shawn Fox
- When should you consider having a forensic royalty audit
- Benefits of forensic royalty audit
- Return on investment of forensic royalty audit
- Analysis of the compliance of the licensee with the key terms of the license agreement
- Identify underreported royalties by licensees for when the royalty payment is structured on a $ per unit, as a percentage of gross revenue, as a percentage of net revenue, as a percentage of cost savings, as a percentage of first costs, as a percentage of gross profit, as a percentage of other profit figures
- GAAP versus non-GAAP accounting standards•
Monday, April 29
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, PLC
327 2nd St. Suite 300
Coralville, Iowa 52241
LES Member: $25.00
LES Students: Free
Alex Brandon, ASA
Alex Brandon is a senior manager in Sikich’s Forensic and Valuation Services practice. He is based in the St. Louis office. He has 10 years of experience in providing valuation and dispute advisory services to the business and legal community. Alex primarily works on engagements involving valuation of businesses, equity interests, and intellectual property, and quantification of economic damages.
Alex has extensive experience assisting clients in all phases of litigation, including early case assessment, discovery, document review, damages analysis, trial preparation, and testimony. He has performed analyses related to lost profits, diminution of value, economic loss, reasonable royalty, and unjust enrichment. He also has experience in researching economic and industry data, building financial models, applying forensic accounting techniques, and writing expert reports.
Shawn Fox, CPA, ABV, CFA, ASA
Effective as of January 1, 2019, Shawn Fox has been promoted to the national managing director of Sikich’s forensic and valuation services practice. He is based in the Chicago office. He has 22 years of experience providing fraud and forensic accounting, dispute advisory, and valuation services to the business and legal community involved in high profile disputes and investigations.
With significant experience in the preparation of expert reports, Shawn assists clients in all phases of complex litigation, including case assessments, discovery, document review, damages analysis, complex modeling, and demonstrative exhibits. He has testified in almost 50 different cases at deposition, trial, and arbitration as an expert witness and has served as a court-appointed receiver. Shawn has been qualified as an expert witness in federal district and bankruptcy courts and state courts across the U.S. Shawn is also retained as a consultant to quantify the potential damages or exposures in disputed matters.
Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, PLC and University of Iowa Research Foundation
The Iowa Chapter uses online registration for members and non-members and accepts payment by credit card. Members should login to the registration page with their LES online account.
A $5.00 cancellation fee is applied to all refunds. Cancellations are non-refundable after February 21.Substitutions are accepted. Contact LES at (703) 234-4058 for assistance.
Requests for ADA accommodations and special dietary needs should be submitted to the event contact listed at the top of the page.
By registering for this event, you permit LES and its chapters to use photographs of you with or without your name and for any lawful purpose, including for example such purposes as publicity, illustration, advertising, and web content.