IP Business Basics 101
Whether it is a trademark, international brand, copyright, patent, know-how, trade secrets, or a combination of some/all of these, recent transactions and auctions have confirmed the value of IP in business.This one-day, deal-centric course has been designed by experienced Licensing Executives Society (LES) (U.S.A. & Canada) executives for business and licensing professionals who are newer to the field in the United States and Canada. Whether it is a trademark, international brand, copyright, patent, know-how, trade secrets, or a combination of some/all of these, recent transactions and auctions have confirmed the value of IP in business. This course is interactive and built around real-world examples and small, hands-on, group exercises.
This Course Will Include the Following
- Identifying trademarks, copyrights, and brands (using everyday consumer items)
- Defining intangible concepts, invention disclosures, and elements of a patent
- A review of a publicly available licensing agreement--an exercise to develop and use term sheets for intangibles
- Determining value-based cost, income, and market approaches
- Identifying elements of an intellectual asset strategy and relationship to a term sheet
- Recognizing types and obligations in fully executed non-disclosure agreements
- Recognizing the role and value of trade secrets in certain technologies
- An overview putting it all together and discussing why it matters
Who Should Attend
- Business and law school professors
- Established companies of all sizes
- Investment bankers
- Law firms
- Non-profit tech transfer offices
- People from from startups
- People who develop, market, and manage lawyers, graduate students
- Private equity
- Professors in academic technical departments
- Valuation firms
- Venture capital investors
- Learn how to recognize new elements of value in developing your business.
One-Day Course, October 14
$245.00 - LES 2018 Annual Meeting Registrant
$295.00 - Member and Non-Member
$150.00 - Professor
$75.00 - Student Member and Non- Member
Total Minutes: 465 minutes
7.75 CLE credits for 60 minute CLE hours*
9.3 CLE credits for 50 minute CLE hours*
*Note: LES is an approved MCLE/CLE provider by the State Bars of California and Pennsylvania. LES applies to additional states when possible.
CANCELLATION and REFUND POLICY:
All registration cancellation and refund requests must be made in writing no later than 30 days from the start of the education session. A refund of all fees, minus a $150 administration fee, will be given for cancellations received by September 14, 2018. No refunds will be granted for requests postmarked after 30 days out from the start of the education session.
Submit all requests to LES Education Registration via email at email@example.com. LES regrets that refunds will not be given for no-shows. All requests for exceptions to the cancellation/refund policy must be submitted in writing by the registrant with appropriate documentation no later than 30 days prior to the start of the session. After that time, no refund considerations will be made.
A transfer of your full registration to another individual is permitted prior to the conference by submitting written request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Onsite transfers must be accompanied by proof of the original confirmation letter. The individual submitting the transfer request is responsible for all financial obligations (any balance due) associated with that substitution. Funds from this program cannot be transferred to another education session without prior management approval.