$295.00 - LES Members and Future Members
$50.00 - Students
Ada Nielsen, CEO of Foodexus, LLC
Matthew McNeill, Chief Innovation Officer of Rite-Hite Holding Corp.
This one-day, deal-centric course has been designed by experienced Licensing Executives Society (LES) (U.S.A. & Canada) executives for business and licensing professionals who are newer to the field in the United States and Canada. Whether it is a trademark, international brand, copyright, patent, know-how, trade secrets, or a combination of some/all of these, recent transactions and auctions have confirmed the value of IP in business. This course is interactive and built around real-world examples and small, hands-on, group exercises.
Who Should Attend
There is no prerequisite for the course. It is designed for people who develop, market, and manage (commercialize) creative, new solutions of all kinds. It shows you how valuable inventions and ideas can be in business.
The key is having a diverse audience that includes entrepreneurs, scientists and engineers, private equity and venture capital investors, investment bankers, lawyers, graduate students, CPAs, various people from start-ups, and established companies of all sizes, non-profit tech transfer offices, law firms, valuation firms, business and law school professors, professors in academic technical departments, and more. The diversity in the classroom enhances discussion and comprehension.
The course is divided into the following activities:
- A hands-on group exercise identifying trademarks, copyrights, and brands (using everyday consumer items)
- A hands-on group exercise defining intangible concepts, invention disclosures, and elements of a patent
- The review of a publicly available licensing agreement
- An exercise to develop and use term sheets for intangibles
- A discussion about determining value based on cost, income, and market approaches
- A discussion about identifying elements of an intellectual asset strategy and relationship to a term sheet
- A discussion about recognizing types and obligations in fully executed non-disclosure agreements
- A discussion about recognizing the role and value of trade secrets in certain technologies
- An overview putting it all together and discussing why it matters
The course will not make you an expert, but you will learn how to recognize new elements of value in developing your business.